Worst actor/actress in a TOS episode
Darmok
2006-06-24 21:47:56 UTC
Just re-watching all the TOS episodes as my personal tribute in this
the 40th anniversary year of Star Trek

While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).

I think that it's Chekov who mentions that a force field has be put in
place around the Enterprise, and then in the most wooden tone
imaginable, "DeSalle" says something on the order of: "I'll bet
credits to navy beans that we can punch some holes in it."

Gahhhhhhhhhhh!

Every time I see that scene I want to barf! Even Melvin Belli did a
more creditable job playing the 'dark angel' in "And The Children
Shall Lead" .. and that's about the worst thing I can say about Mr.
DeSalle's performance. <shudder>

How about you? Who was the one actor/actress that made your stomach
turn ... can be a regular, or special guest star.

Maybe, in light of the 40th anniversary, we can have a nice discussion
about the TOS actors, giving opinions on the regulars as well as the
guests .. and many of the guests went on to big careers (Edith Keeler
for one).

Hailing frequencies open ...
Steven L.
2006-06-25 00:49:22 UTC
Post by Darmok
Just re-watching all the TOS episodes as my personal tribute in this
the 40th anniversary year of Star Trek
While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).
But it was such a small part with such few lines that you could easily
overlook it. Don't blame the actor for that dumb "I'll bet credits to
navy beans" line.

OTOH, Melvin Belli had a major role in "As the Children Shall Lead"--and
he sucked.

The worst actress in a significant role had to be Sheila Leighton, who
played Luma in "Spock's Brain"
Post by Darmok
Maybe, in light of the 40th anniversary, we can have a nice discussion
about the TOS actors, giving opinions on the regulars as well as the
guests .. and many of the guests went on to big careers (Edith Keeler
for one).
Actually, some of the guests already had big careers by the time they
guest-starred on Star Trek: Ricardo Montalban, Frank Gorshin, France
Nuyen, etc.

One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
George Peatty
2006-06-25 02:42:04 UTC
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three best of
the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's or Mark Lenard's
..
Neon Knight
2006-06-25 03:29:17 UTC
Post by George Peatty
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three
best of the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's
or Mark Lenard's ..
Funny....I absolutely hated that episode. Nobody can touch William
Windom's "nutso" scene when describing what happened to the
Constellation's crew. Best acting of the series.
Darmok
2006-06-25 10:44:49 UTC
Post by Neon Knight
Post by George Peatty
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three
best of the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's
or Mark Lenard's ..
Funny....I absolutely hated that episode. Nobody can touch William
Windom's "nutso" scene when describing what happened to the
Constellation's crew. Best acting of the series.
The Doomsday Machine was Jimmy Doohan's favorite episode .. he was a
huge fan of William Windom, who, during the interviews of the Special
Edition TOS episodes comes across as someone with an ego the size of
Shatner's and/or Harlan Ellison's. I've often said you could never
put Shatner and Ellison into one room, as there wouldn't be enough
room for both of their egos. Windom, at least as seen in the
interviews, could give them both a run for their money. He also
looked to have gained 100 lbs. since playing Commodore Matt Decker.
Kevin
2006-06-26 14:39:28 UTC
Post by Darmok
Post by Neon Knight
Post by George Peatty
[...]
I have met and spoke with both Harlan Ellison and William Shatner and I can
only confirm in the strongest possible terms that you are right on. No
space exists that could contain the combined egos of Mr. Ellison and Mr.
Shatner.
Magnus, Robot Fighter
2006-06-26 16:44:14 UTC
Post by Darmok
Post by Neon Knight
Post by George Peatty
[...]
You do know don't you that Ellison and Shatner were once on good terms
don't you?
Darmok
2006-06-26 21:40:27 UTC
On 26 Jun 2006 09:44:14 -0700, "Magnus, Robot Fighter"
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter
Post by Darmok
The Doomsday Machine was Jimmy Doohan's favorite episode .. he was a
huge fan of William Windom, who, during the interviews of the Special
Edition TOS episodes comes across as someone with an ego the size of
Shatner's and/or Harlan Ellison's. I've often said you could never
put Shatner and Ellison into one room, as there wouldn't be enough
room for both of their egos. Windom, at least as seen in the
interviews, could give them both a run for their money. He also
looked to have gained 100 lbs. since playing Commodore Matt Decker.
You do know don't you that Ellison and Shatner were once on good terms
don't you?
I didn't know that they were, at one time, on friendly terms. It
would be a doomed relationship, given their egos. Discussing this
issue with one of my sci-fi friends, he said that Ellison would "clean
Shatner's clock" ... supposedly Ellison is a Black Belt in Karate or
some kind of martial art.
CaptainPike
Give me a break. Shatner would BEAT his ass!
Mies
2006-06-27 01:07:37 UTC
Post by Darmok
[...]
So why are they on bad terms? Soory I'm outta the loop and wanna get a toe
in. Thanks.
ToolPackinMama
Fifty quatloos on Shatner.
Darmok
2006-06-27 10:34:44 UTC
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:18:19 -0400, ToolPackinMama
Post by ToolPackinMama
Fifty quatloos on Shatner.
250 quatloos that it would be like a sissy fight, with a lot of
slapping and hissing and biting and such.
Magnus, Robot Fighter
2006-06-27 06:50:54 UTC
Post by Darmok
[...]
Back in the day, Ellison was young and excited about how well things
were going for him. And excited he got to hang out with young, hungry
actors with respect for their craft. So one day Shatner calls him up
and asks if he can come over and look at the new Star Trek script he's
doing. Ellison says yes and Shatner rides over on his motorcycle and
looks at the script. Ellisons eager to hear Bill's opinion when he
realizes that Shatner isn't reading the script, he's counting lines!

Needless to say between the script changes and this experience with
Shatner, it sort of popped Harlan's Hollywood Cherry if you know what I
mean.
Magnus, Robot Fighter.
2006-06-25 03:32:56 UTC
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:42:04 -0400, George Peatty
Post by George Peatty
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three best of
the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's or Mark Lenard's
..
Better than:

"You think I don't know that?? There was but not anymore! 400 of them
they called me they begged me for help, but i couldn't I couldn't"

I think not.
Steven L.
2006-06-26 00:11:37 UTC
Post by George Peatty
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three best of
the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's or Mark Lenard's
..
"You think I don't know that?? There was but not anymore! 400 of them
they called me they begged me for help, but i couldn't I couldn't"
Definitely. That was ham overacting on William Windom's part.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Mies
2006-06-27 01:17:53 UTC
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter.
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:42:04 -0400, George Peatty
Post by Darmok
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:49:22 GMT, "Steven L."
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
Her performance *is* that episode. It is one of the two or three best
of the entire series, equal to or better than William Windom's or Mark
Lenard's ..
"You think I don't know that?? There was but not anymore! 400 of them
they called me they begged me for help, but i couldn't I couldn't"
I think not.
I love Space Seed. I'm reading the Eugenics War series... or trilogy right
now.

But what about Kahn? A Sikh Indian with a spanish accent? ;)
Kweeg
2006-06-27 02:08:08 UTC
Post by Mies
I love Space Seed. I'm reading the Eugenics War series... or trilogy right
now.
But what about Kahn? A Sikh Indian with a spanish accent? ;)
Sotta like that Scottish accented Spaniard, Ramirez, in Highlander...
--
Qapla'
Kweeg
"So say we all!"
Darmok
2006-06-25 10:40:45 UTC
Post by Steven L.
Post by Darmok
Just re-watching all the TOS episodes as my personal tribute in this
the 40th anniversary year of Star Trek
While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).
But it was such a small part with such few lines that you could easily
overlook it. Don't blame the actor for that dumb "I'll bet credits to
navy beans" line.
But it was the way he delivered those lines that made the scene so
bad. Brent Spiner (and a lot of other actors) said, "If it ain't on
the page, it ain't on the stage." So, there's some validity to having
something good to work with. However, a good actor can make poor
scripting better than just passable. There are too many examples to
cite just one.
Post by Steven L.
OTOH, Melvin Belli had a major role in "As the Children Shall Lead"--and
he sucked.
The worst part about that, as Walter Koenig mentioned (later) is that
there were plenty of "starving real actors" out there who could have
done a great job with that part, but, instead, the shirts at
Desilu/Paramount threw a bone to a stinking lawyer ... gag! That's
one of my least favorite episodes.
Post by Steven L.
The worst actress in a significant role had to be Sheila Leighton, who
played Luma in "Spock's Brain"
Well, as a "giver of pain and delight", she fit the bill. She was
supposed to be somewhat primitive and childlike in character, as were
all the women, except for the leader, after she put on "the teacher".
With all the criticism of that episode, I still like its campy feel
... I like The Way To Eden for the same reason.
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
I've never really liked that episode due to the violent nature
(needless torture) that the Vions inflicted. True, Hays/Gem's
performance was wonderful, and Dee Kelley (RIP) thought it one of the
better TOS episodes.

The versions of TOS that I am now watching are the "enhanced Special
Edition" versions that were 1 1/2 hours long, and included interviews
with cast and guest stars". They were aired on the Sci-Fi channel
back in the 90's, when I taped them. Some years ago, I put them on DVD
to prevent them from further degradation and to take up less space.
At the time, Dee Kelley and Jimmy Doohan were both still alive, as
well as Mark Lenard.
Steven L.
2006-06-26 00:14:09 UTC
Post by Steven L.
The worst actress in a significant role had to be Sheila Leighton, who
played Luma in "Spock's Brain"
Well, as a "giver of pain and delight", she fit the bill. She was
supposed to be somewhat primitive and childlike in character, as were
all the women, except for the leader, after she put on "the teacher".
With all the criticism of that episode, I still like its campy feel
... I like The Way To Eden for the same reason.
Well, if you want another terrible performance by an actress that can't
be excused as "campy," I nominate Emily Banks who played Yeoman Tonia
Barrows in "Shore Leave." I've seen better performances in high school
plays.
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Graeme
2006-07-05 01:26:48 UTC
Post by Darmok
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:49:22 GMT, "Steven L."
The worst part about that, as Walter Koenig mentioned (later) is that
there were plenty of "starving real actors" out there who could have
done a great job with that part, but, instead, the shirts at
Desilu/Paramount threw a bone to a stinking lawyer ... gag! That's
one of my least favorite episodes.
Nah, that wasn't the worst part. They hired guest stars every week. If a
non-actor got one one week out of 79, that's probably the least offensive
thing in the episode.
Graeme
2006-07-05 01:20:58 UTC
Post by Steven L.
One of the best performances was by Kathryn Hays playing "Gem" in
"Empath." Her performance saved an otherwise awful episode.
Ick, she made it worse. Too much emoting. Though she would have been good
in a Menoptera costume in Dr. Who's The Web Planet.
Magnus, Robot Fighter.
2006-06-25 03:31:00 UTC
Post by Darmok
[...]
*any* non-Indian actor in Paradise Syndrome. And ya know something
Diana Muldaur has never done a damn thing for me.

I'm sure someone will mention Majel Barret. I want to point out I
thought she was very effective as Number One.
Darmok
2006-06-25 10:49:40 UTC
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:31:00 -0500, "Magnus, Robot Fighter."
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter.
*any* non-Indian actor in Paradise Syndrome. And ya know something
Diana Muldaur has never done a damn thing for me.
I'm sure someone will mention Majel Barret. I want to point out I
thought she was very effective as Number One.
Like Rudy Solari, who played "Salish"? I'd seen him previously in an
Outer Limits episode (actually, a lot of people on Trek had roles in
Outer Limits episodes), and he was rather the same at that time.
Graeme
2006-07-05 01:29:09 UTC
\>
Post by Magnus, Robot Fighter.
*any* non-Indian actor in Paradise Syndrome.
They were Hollywood Indians; predominantly Jewish and Italian. Quite
traditional. No need to get all racist about it, the question is about
acting performances, and there was nothing particularly bad in that one.
Magnus, Robot Fighter
Sorry, I have a particular horse in that race.
studio
2006-06-25 05:44:24 UTC
The pilot episode where a landing party is attempting to beam down to
the
planet with Mr. Spock in charge.
The women are hijacked by the aliens, leaving the men on the
transporter pads.
Spock exclaim's, "the women"!
As if he cared?
Or some of the other exclamations Mr. Spock makes during the same
episode.
God aweful. Out of charactor.

Glad he got the charactor right after that though.
I can't think of them off hand, but there were quite a few 'cringe'
acting moments,
or just plain bad script writting on TOS.

That said, it's still the original, and still the best.
It went where no man had gone before.
The other Star Trek's are the 'Pimp My Ride's ' of TOS's 'OverHaulin'.
TOS did everything, the other's are just old Honda Civic's with plasma
screens,
loud exhaust's and woofers.
They're the diet coke of Star Trek's.....just 1 calorie.....not even
enough.
GeneK
2006-06-25 06:56:13 UTC
Post by studio
God aweful. Out of charactor.
It wasn't "out of character" at the time. They just
changed the character. In the original pilot the
unemotional character was Number One.

GeneK
Kweeg
"So say we all!"
John Savard
2006-06-27 04:37:49 UTC
Post by Darmok
How about you? Who was the one actor/actress that made your stomach
turn ... can be a regular, or special guest star.
I think it can be said in *praise* of the original Star Trek that I
cannot remember any conspicuous examples of particularly bad acting.

Bad episodes, yes. Bad acting, specifically, no.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mies
2006-06-27 19:01:58 UTC
Post by John Savard
Post by Darmok
How about you? Who was the one actor/actress that made your stomach
turn ... can be a regular, or special guest star.
I think it can be said in *praise* of the original Star Trek that I
cannot remember any conspicuous examples of particularly bad acting.
Bad episodes, yes. Bad acting, specifically, no.
John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
I agree with a comment earlier...the worst acting has to be by the actor
that portrayed Commodore Decker. His whole "shock" acting at the beginning
of the episode is just over the top. It did get better when he took over
the Enterprsie though.

As for Let That....Battlefield episode, the episode wasn't that bad. It
did seem to drag on and be preachy at times. It was the first eposide that
I truly understood the "moral of the story". I was about 12 or so.
Darmok
2006-06-27 23:57:58 UTC
Post by Mies
As for Let That....Battlefield episode, the episode wasn't that bad. It
did seem to drag on and be preachy at times. It was the first eposide that
I truly understood the "moral of the story". I was about 12 or so.
Gads ... Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was so blunt (about the
moral of the story) that you'd have to have lived in a cave your
entire life to miss the point. I did think that one was a little TOO
blunt in delivering its message. Most of the rest of TOS episodes
were much more subtle. There were ones that were close to LTBYLB.
A Private Little War and Patterns of Force come to mind as other
examples of being too blunt in the moral. YMMV
CaptainPike
2006-06-28 02:20:00 UTC
Post by Darmok
Post by Mies
As for Let That....Battlefield episode, the episode wasn't that bad. It
did seem to drag on and be preachy at times. It was the first eposide that
I truly understood the "moral of the story". I was about 12 or so.
Gads ... Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was so blunt (about the
moral of the story) that you'd have to have lived in a cave your
entire life to miss the point. I did think that one was a little TOO
blunt in delivering its message. Most of the rest of TOS episodes
were much more subtle. There were ones that were close to LTBYLB.
A Private Little War and Patterns of Force come to mind as other
examples of being too blunt in the moral. YMMV
Exactly. Its point was rather forced. As if color was the only
difference between certain cultures of people. Geez.
Kweeg
2006-06-28 07:23:07 UTC
Post by Darmok
Post by Mies
As for Let That....Battlefield episode, the episode wasn't that bad. It
did seem to drag on and be preachy at times. It was the first eposide that
I truly understood the "moral of the story". I was about 12 or so.
Gads ... Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was so blunt (about the
moral of the story) that you'd have to have lived in a cave your
entire life to miss the point. I did think that one was a little TOO
blunt in delivering its message. Most of the rest of TOS episodes
were much more subtle. There were ones that were close to LTBYLB.
A Private Little War and Patterns of Force come to mind as other
examples of being too blunt in the moral. YMMV
They were a little more subtle than "Battlefield" as there are some here
that would argue (wrongly) that A Private Little War was *not* about Vietnam
and Kirk did *not* supply the tribesmen with guns. Even though Kirk mentions
to McCoy the 20th century bush wars in Asia, the fact that the superpowers
had to keep both sides even and balanced or they would annihilate the other,
and it wasn't necessarily right but it had to be.
"So say we all!"
Darmok
2006-06-28 10:26:42 UTC
Post by Kweeg
Post by Darmok
Post by Mies
[...]
Things might have worked out differently, had that power hungry wench,
Nona, not 'gone round the bend' to the other side with Kirk's phaser.
Still, your points are valid .. it was very obvious what statement
they were making with A Private Little War.

"Mirab, his sails unfurled ..."
Mies
2006-06-28 21:12:34 UTC
Post by Darmok
Post by Mies
As for Let That....Battlefield episode, the episode wasn't that bad.
It did seem to drag on and be preachy at times. It was the first
eposide that I truly understood the "moral of the story". I was about
12 or so.
Gads ... Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was so blunt (about the
moral of the story) that you'd have to have lived in a cave your
entire life to miss the point. I did think that one was a little TOO
blunt in delivering its message. Most of the rest of TOS episodes
were much more subtle. There were ones that were close to LTBYLB.
A Private Little War and Patterns of Force come to mind as other
examples of being too blunt in the moral. YMMV
Yeah it was blunt.

But seriously, when you watched the episode the first time, you didn't see
the difference between Biel and whatshisface until it was spelled (or is it
spelt) out for you. I'm sure even today some Star Trek virgins (not that
there's many) wouldn't pick it out. I think it was a pretty smart episode,
in that respect.

Then again, maybe I should get out of my cave more often.
Graeme
2006-07-05 02:05:46 UTC
Post by Mies
But seriously, when you watched the episode the first time, you didn't see
the difference between Biel and whatshisface until it was spelled (or is it
spelt) out for you.
Actually, I think most of us did, though we may not have known it was going
to be a plot point. There were several shots of them standing together
before it was spelled out.
ANIM8Rfsk
2006-06-28 04:42:08 UTC
Post by John Savard
Post by Darmok
How about you? Who was the one actor/actress that made your stomach
turn ... can be a regular, or special guest star.
I think it can be said in *praise* of the original Star Trek that I
cannot remember any conspicuous examples of particularly bad acting.
Bad episodes, yes. Bad acting, specifically, no.
Gem in "The Empath" - worst line readings EVER.
Graeme
2006-07-05 01:19:31 UTC
Post by Darmok
Just re-watching all the TOS episodes as my personal tribute in this
the 40th anniversary year of Star Trek
While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).
I think that it's Chekov who mentions that a force field has be put in
place around the Enterprise, and then in the most wooden tone
imaginable, "DeSalle" says something on the order of: "I'll bet
credits to navy beans that we can punch some holes in it."
Gahhhhhhhhhhh!
It's not the performance so much as that it's a stupid line that would be
almost impossible to make sound good. It's supposed to be a spacier version
of "dollars to doughnuts", but on the embarrassment scale, it's even worse
than "Why don't you go chase an asteroid?".

The really significant thing about that, and a real downer for those who
want to think that Uhura is 4th in command, is that this is the only episode
where Kirk, Spock, Scott and Sulu are away at the same time, and Uhura still
doesn't get the con.
Graeme
2006-07-05 20:17:24 UTC
Post by Darmok
While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).
He's actually in at least two more. He beams down in This Side of
Paradise, and is one of the security guards that beams down in City on
the Edge of Forever (though he has no dialogue in that one).
Anim8rFSK
2006-07-06 02:55:20 UTC
Post by Graeme
Post by Darmok
While watching the episode "Catspaw", I came to the conclusion that
Michael Barrier (who played Lt. Vincent DeSalle) was probably the most
gawd-awful actor who ever was on the series in a guest role (more than
one episode, as he was also in the Squire of Gothos).
He's actually in at least two more. He beams down in This Side of
Paradise, and is one of the security guards that beams down in City on
the Edge of Forever (though he has no dialogue in that one).
He's also the one that gets left in limbo forever at the end when they
beam up 7 people onto a 6 person transporter pad.

:-)